Now updated for 2023!
So you are going to a festival this summer! Perhaps you are going to Glastonbury, Reading, or Leeds and you are wondering, what do I need to pack? Packing for festivals is hard, you have limited space, and you need to prepare for different weather conditions. If it cannot fit in your backpack, trolley, or arms, it isn’t coming! Preparation is key.
We have compiled the ultimate 2023 festival packing list for you, based on things that we take to festivals ourselves. The list contains absolutely everything that you might want to take to a festival in 2023 to help you survive and importantly have a wonderful time!
- Must Haves
- For the camp
- What to wear
- To stay (somewhat) clean
- To stay connected
- For the hangovers
- For the glampers
This is essential if you are going to be buying booze (and are over 18!). Some festivals will give you an over 18 wristband, and some, e.g. Glastonbury will require ID in order to claim your ticket if it was bought as part of a coach package.
This one should be pretty obvious… You can’t enter the festival without your ticket.
Money + Cards
If you want to survive you will need to purchase basic things at the festival such as food and drinks. You may feel like you are living in a different world for the weekend, but sadly things still cost money.
Taking some cash is always handy, but make sure you keep it safe! Not all festivals will take cards everywhere or they might have fees on their ATMs. Festivals like Glastonbury will also attract large queues at the ATMs. More and more however is card becoming king!
For the camp
Obviously, you need a comfortable place to sleep! We have put together a full guide on tents over here.
In short, we recommend a good-sized tent which will last you for a number of festivals to keep down on waste. It needs to fit you, all your gear, and perhaps some of your friends. It also needs to keep you and your gear dry throughout the whole weekend.
Please take your tent home with you when you pack up at the end 🙏
We’d recommend a sleeping bag that will keep you nice and warm, it can get quite cold at night in the UK, even in summer!
Our choice: Active Era Professional Mummy Sleeping Bag
- Ultra-Warm & Comfortable: This sleeping bag has been designed with a 300GSM (2 x 150g/m2) double-layer filling making it perfect for use in 3-4 seasons....
- Cosy Mummy Design: The figure-hugging mummy design tapers in at the leg, this design is more efficient in keeping you warm in colder temperatures than...
Looking for more info on sleeping bags? We have compiled our top picks over in our best sleeping bags for festivals guide.
I used to be in the anti-airbed/roll-mat camp, but I tried one recently and converted! If you want to keep the hard ridged ground as far away from you as possible and get a good night’s sleep with no back pain the next day, I can’t recommend one enough.
Our choice roll-mat: Clostnature Self Inflating Pad for Camping
- SPECIAL COMFORT: Clostnature Self inflating sleeping pad allows you to have a wonderful sleep in a poor environment. The advantage of the self inflating...
- EXCELLENT INSULATION: Waterproof fabric with 3.8cm memory foam padding, air and foam insulation, and self-inflating mats are some of the least expensive...
Our choice Airbed: Wyldness Camping Inflatable Airbed
- OUTDOOR BLOW UP MATTRESS - Ideal camping bed for maximum comfort. Enjoy an uninterrupted night’s sleep wherever you go. This lightweight inflatable bed...
- RAPID INFLATE - With a quick release screw valve you can use a portable air pump or mains powered electric air pump to get this inflated and ready in...
A good sturdy camping rucksack is super practical if you want to maximise what you can bring and carry comfortably. The journey from the car to the campsite is usually long so we’d recommend you invest in a sturdy camping rucksack that has attachments for things like your roll mat and sleeping bag. The best rucksacks will last festival-to-festival for years to come.
- Large capacity: 70L
- Lightweight: only 1.2 KG (2.7 lbs)
Talking of the journey to and from the car to the campsite, sometimes just a rucksack alone won’t cut it. We recently reviewed our best festival trolleys over here.
Many festivals, such as Glastonbury, have banned the use of single-use plastic bottles from their premises. We definitely recommend a decent reusable bottle and keeping them refilled through the weekend. You can even get collapsible ones now if you are looking to save on space when packing.
Our collapsible choice: Valourgo Collapsible Water Bottle
- CHEERFUL AND FUNNY - This collapsible water bottle comes with a unique leak-proof valve, squeeze to drink design with thick and flexible silicone body....
- NON TOXIC - This collapsible water bottle is nontoxic since it made of FDA approved BPA-free food grade liquid platinum silicone. No taste or odor,...
Our steel choice: Eco Friendly | Single wall Stainless Steel Water Bottle
- MINIMALISTIC DESIGN: The water bottle 1l comes without any paint to ensure scratch resistance and durability. The neutral design makes this metal water...
- ECO-FRIENDLY: Made of 18/8 stainless steel, these unisex water bottles are designed to last a lifetime. Say no to plastic water bottles and plastic...
What to wear
A good pair of comfortable, waterproof wellies is key for a good time at a festival. Even if you don’t wear them, being caught out without them is far worse, trust me. If it does rain, and the mud arrives, make sure you have a decent pair of wellies as you will be walking long distances in them.
Our choice for Women: Joules Women’s Field Welly Gloss
Our choice for Men: Dunlop Men’s Wellington Boots Waterproof
We’d recommend taking a good pair of walking boots and wellies, but some prefer to just have walking boots. Whatever you do, please don’t take your prize pair of new trainers with you… You are going to be doing a lot of walking, in dust, mud, grass, puddles, etc, so a comfortable, sturdy pair of walking boots will go a long way. Better yet a decent pair will last many years of festivals and hiking to come.
Our choice for Women: Mountain Warehouse Adventurer Women’s Boots
- Waterproof - constructed of a water-resistant upper and waterproof membrane
- Synthetic Upper - durable and lightweight, great for active feet
Our choice for Men: Mountain Warehouse Adventurer Men’s Boots
Super helpful to stay dry, and they are lightweight + easy to pack!
Our choice: Pockit Ponchos 5 Pack
- Universal Size: Designed to fit majority of Men and Women (Unisex), Adults and Teens – with Dimensions of 122 cm by 82 cm, resulting in a spacious,...
- Drawstring Hood & Elastic Cuffs: Preventing any water seepage and allows the user to adjust for a fit that’s perfect for them.
You might not look cool, depending on who you ask, but they are practical as hell. I personally will be rocking one at Glastonbury this year.
Our choice: Osprey Europe Unisex Daylite Waist
You’ll need to bring clothes too, right…? Make sure you are covered for a number of days with clean clothes to wear!
To stay (somewhat) clean
Fancy a shower, face wash, or you just got wet in the rain, a towel is super handy. We recommend a small, microfibre towel as they dry fast and do the job well.
Our choice: Amazon Brand – Eono Microfibre Towel
- Premium quality microfiber: Eco-friendly microfiber produced without harmful additives, hypoallergenic and with antibacterial treatment. Ultra soft and...
- Fast drying&super absorbent: This microfiber towel can hold 4 times its weight in water and can dry up to 10 times faster than traditional cotton towels....
No one wants smelly breath…
We’d recommend classic old-fashioned loo roll, or better yet, recycled loo roll over going with wet wipes.
- MADE FROM 100% RECYCLED PAPER - Our environmentally friendly recycled toilet paper includes post-consumer waste paper and a small percentage of...
- VOTED #1 MOST SUSTAINABLE - Our recycled toilet paper meets top standards for environmental sustainability as voted by The Natural Resources Defense...
Arms in the air? Got BO? Bring your deo.
Our choice: Nivea Anti-Perspirant Deodorant Roll-On
- 72H odour protection: Women's roll-on deodorant is designed to protect against the effects of everyday stresses and strains and offer 72 hour odour...
- DryPlus system: The innovative “DryPlus system” formula, developed by NIVEA offers 72h protection against body odour and delicate care for underarms
We’d always recommend keeping a travel-sized bottle with you.
- Kills 99.99 Percent of Bacteria: Protect against bacteria and viruses with Carex Aloe Vera Anti Bacterial Gel; contains 70 Percent alcohol so you and your...
- Protects: Treat yourself with Carex's softly scented hand sanitiser with added aloe vera, helping to leave hands feeling refreshed and protected
To stay connected
We recommend just taking your usual phone and getting a decent portable charger. You can opt to get an old-school or throwaway phone if you are worried about losing yours. If that’s the case we would always recommend the classic Nokia 105.
Portable phone charger
A portable charger is a must-have nowadays, especially if you are going to be trying to stay in touch with your friends throughout the festival. A decent one will last you many festivals to come and they are all-around handy things to have.
Our choice: HETP Power Bank, Portable Charger 25800mAh
- [Power Bank Most Classic Black-Red Design]: The most classic design of from 2019 to so far - black and red combined, bring new experience.
- [25800mAh Power Bank]: The power bank with 25800mAh can charge your phone 5-6 times, suitable for daily work and long trip.
For the hangovers
It is inevitable that you wake up, it’s day two of the festival, and you are feeling pretty tired, maybe hungover… We’d definitely recommend some energy gels to keep you going for the rest of the days.
- The GO Isotonic Energy Gel was the world's first isotonic gel effectively delivering an easily digestible and quick supply of carbohydrate for energy...
- Replaces energy stores quickly and efficiently during bouts of intense exercise, without leaving you feeling bloated. Go Energy gels are a convenient and...
Alongside energy gels, it’s good to keep the vitamin levels up, especially if you are living off basic festival food.
Our choice: Berocca Vitamin C Effervescent Tablets
- With a specially tailored Vitamin C formula, Berocca tablets are packed full of 11 vitamins and minerals including Vitamins B1 & B2 to support your body's...
- Contains Vitamin C and the Vitamin B complex, which is all 8 B Vitamins (B1, B2, B3 (Niacin), B5 (Pantothenic Acid), B6, B7 (Biotin), B9, B12)
For the Glampers
It usually gets pretty light early in the morning at UK festivals. If you need your beauty sleep, we would definitely recommend a good eye mask.
Our choice: Mavogel Cotton Sleep Eye Mask
- 🌙 2019 NEW DESIGN - We listen to your feedback! After long-term research and data, we update every detail and make a better ergonomic sleeping mask...
- 🌙 PERFECT LIGHT BLOCKOUT ANYWHERE, ANYTIME - This sleep mask uses patented bending cartilage design, adjustable and durable, effectively blocking lights...
Protecting your ears is super important, and also so is getting a good lie-in!
Our choice: EarPeace Concert Ear Plugs
- PROFESSIONAL HI-FI HEARING PROTECTION: EarPeace PRO are the highest performing, most comfortable reusable ear plugs you’ll ever wear. This is the next...
- ADVANCED FILTER TECHNOLOGY: All new filters feature a tuned acoustic mesh and membrane that precisely replicates the sound signature. True to life sound at...
Now we really are getting into glamping territory. If you are looking to take care of your neck and improve your chances of getting to sleep, or you just have extra space in your bag, an inflatable pillow is for you!
Our choice: Trekology Camping Pillows
- Brand new upgraded design - Small in Size - Big on Comfort! This is the most compact & lightweight inflatable camping pillow on the market – folds down...
- New in 2.0! More Durable Than Ever! Enhanced design with latest highly durable elastic TPU fabric that boasts water resistance. So, whether sleeping under...
A great addition for those who like to spend more time around the campsite. Another added benefit, you can use them whilst queuing to get into the festival…
- EXCELLENT ALL-ROUND CAMPING CHAIR: Searching for a fuss-free camping chair that’s strong, sturdy, and comfortable to sit in? Look no further than this...
- STRONG & STURDY TUBULAR STEEL FRAME: The camping chair has a tough tubular steel frame which folds out in a scissor style for superior strength and...
Okay, no, this is the real glamping territory… If you really want to stay clean, and not queue for showers, this might be for you.
Our choice: Milestone Camping Solar Shower
Perhaps you want a hot cup of coffee, or you want to cook your own food. A stove is a great addition for the avid festival-goer and camper.
Our choice: Portable Camping Gas Cooker Stove
- Must Haves
- For the camp
- Sleeping bag
- What to wear
- Bum Bag
- To stay (somewhat) clean
- Toilet roll
- Hand sanitiser
- To stay connected
- Portable Charger
- For the hangovers
- Energy Gels
- Vitamin Pills
- For the glampers
- Eye mask
- Ear plugs
- Inflatable Pillow
- Camping chairs
- Solar-powered shower
Looking to get a ticket to Glastonbury Festival? Read our guide on the best tips and tricks to help you secure yourself and your friends a ticket every year.